- View All
- January 1, 2007 - December 31, 2007
has contribution area
has academic priority
has USDA Area
impact statement impact
- Forty students participated in our workshops, and took home materials and ideas to share with parents. Those students learned that not all insects and weeds are bad, and that they should evaluate a situation before they decide to use a pesticide to just kill insects and weeds when found.
impact statement issue
- An opportunity arose to work with local schools in the Ithaca, NY, area to bring Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to students, teachers and grounds workers. We were able to work effectively as a team in the two pilot classrooms, designing a packet of 4 lessons which covered insects, weeds and IPM. Curriculum materials were piloted and revised with suggestions from students and teachers. Workshops for grounds managers and structural IPM in schools were also held.
impact statement response
- We teamed up with two science teachers in the Ithaca schools system to introduce students to scientists from the Cornell Community. Integrated Pest Management (IPM), insects and weeds in the school community were discussed, trying some ideas with students to help them understand the IPM concept, and have a hands-on experience with the tools an IPM manager uses in his/her work. We were able to use the school grounds as our classroom, which gave students a sense of ownership and pride in their school settings.
impact statement summary
- Curriculum on insects, weeds and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in the school and schoolyard for third and fourth grade elementary school students were prepared, piloted and revised. Tools used by entomologists and turfgrass managers were demonstrated and practical hands-on use by students was conducted.
Other private funding
- Park Foundation Grant to develop project
- Braband, Lynn Researcher
- Clark, Janie Researcher
- Gaines, Patricia Researcher
- Grant, Jennifer Researcher
- Gruttadaurio, Joann Researcher
- Ithaca School District; New York State Partner (Ithaca School District)
- Marvin, Deb Researcher
- NYS IPM Program; New York State Partner (NYS IPM Program)
- STOMNY; New York State Partner (STOMNY)
- Applied Research
- Klass, Carolyn Cornell Academic Staff
USDA area other