- View All
- January 1, 2009 -
has contribution area
has USDA Area
impact statement impact
- The impact will be to provide potential wine grape growers -- and current growers -- with one-stop shopping for the resources they need for basic wine grape production information. This material will enable the to develop business plans and assess sites for proper viticultural necessities. Extension specialists will be able to direct "casual" growers to the website and not lose precious time that could be spent with more "serious" growers.
impact statement issue
- Growers new to wine grape production frequently call with very general questions about how to grow wine grapes. I have spent many hours talking to potential wine grape growers starting from the very basics, whereas a web resource with the basic information could answer those questions early on.
impact statement response
- I have begun developing a statewide web resource. Fact sheets from viticultural specialists will be collected, edited, and formatted, then uploaded to this website.
impact statement summary
- A web resource with general information drawn from Cornell research is an excellent starting place for those new to wine grape production. Accurate information on site selection, variety selection, marketing and business plans, and other topics will enable these individuals to make wiser decisions and empower them to come to extension associates with educated questions. Extension associates will need to spend less time with individual growers answering questions and more time with groups facing the same issues.
- Creasap Gee, Jodi Cornell Academic Staff
USDA area other
- Improve understanding of vineyard development