The Foundry is a sculpture studio and workshop for fine arts students, situated behind Sibley Hall along the edge of Fall Creek Gorge. The building was completed in the 1860s and was originally used as blacksmith shop. By 1890 it was in use as part of the Sibley School of Mechanical Engineering.
In the 1960s the sculpture program was moved from the basement of Tjaden Hall to the Foundry, and later a bronze-casting facility was established behind it. The large, uninterrupted interior space, evenly lit by tall windows on all four sides, provides a perfect space for sculptors. Students can also work outdoors, overlooking the gorge.