Engages the North Side neighborhood in a participatory community design and development process to develop a riverfront district vision plan.
Binghamton New York's North Side is underserved, economically disadvantaged, and disconnected from a key local resource.
This project aims to build capacity in Binghamton's North Side which is underserved and economically disadvantaged. This "bottom-up" planning process aims to conceive and realize with the citizens, a vision plan for revitalizing the neighborhood's entire district while reconnecting it to its most vital asset, a more than one-mile stretch of contiguous land along the Chenango River.
The project has focused on intertwining economic, social and environmental goals to create a vital and healthy neighborhood where plans for future change build on and enhance the neighborhood's existing strengths and assets.
An almost two-year participatory planning process has resulted in the formation of the North Side C.A.R.E.S. coalition as well as developing a vision plan and a riverfront plan. The approach has created dialogue not only among community members but between the City of Binghamton, neighborhood stakeholders, County Planning, the Department of Environmental Conservation and potential investors interested in economic partnerships to revitalize the neighborhood.
The process has empowered local decision-making and initiative and fosters collaborations with City Hall, citizens, and economic investors. It has repositioned the neighborhood "at the helm" with citizens directing their own future
- State or Municipal (e.g., NYSDAM)
- SUNY ESF Department of Landscape Architecture
- SUNY ESF Brownfields Center
- Department of Planning and Economic Development, City of Binghamton, NY
- Department of State, Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan Program
- Paula Horrigan, Principal Investigator, Department of Landscape Architecture
- Jamie Vanucchi, Research Extension Associate, Department of Landscape Architecture
- Fred Cowett, Research Assistant, Department of Landscape Architecture