Kevin Clermont is a specialist in the procedural aspects of litigation. After his graduation from Harvard Law School, Mr. Clermont clerked for the late Hon. Murray Gurfein of the Southern District of New York, and then spent two years in private practice as an associate at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton. Since he joined the Cornell Law School Faculty in 1974, Mr. Clermont has authored a good number of books on civil procedure. His coauthored casebook, Materials for a Basic Course in Civil Procedure, is regarded as a model of careful legal craftsmanship and also a thoughtful introduction for students.
- View All
- Inventing Tests, Destabalizing Systems. Iowa Law Review. 95:821-861. 2010
- Three Myths About Twombly-Iqbal. Wake Forest Law Review. 45:1337. 2010
- Employment Discrimination Plaintiffs in Federal Court: From Bad to Worse?. Harvard Law & Policy Review. 3:103. 2009
- Litigation Realities Redux. Notre Dame Law Review. 84:1919-1974. 2009
- Standards of Proof Revisited. Vermont Law Review. 33:469. 2009
- CAFA Judicata: A Tale of Waste and Politics. University of Pennsylvania Law Review. 156:1553. 2008
- Foreigners' Fate in America's Courts: Empirical Legal Research. Academia Sinica Law Journal. 237. 2007
- Xenophilia or Xenophobia in American Courts? Before and After 9/11. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies. 4:441. 2007
- Exorbitant Jurisdiction. Maine Law Review. 58:474. 2006
- Federal Courts, Practice & Procedure: Reverse-Erie. Notre Dame Law Review. 82:1-58. 2006
- Integrating Transnational Perspectives into Civil Procedure: What Not to Teach. Journal of Legal Education. 56:524-538. 2006
- Jurisdictional Fact. Cornell Law Review. 91:973-1020. 2006
- The Role of Private International Law in The United States: Beating the Not-Quite-Dead Horse of Jurisdiction. CLIE Studies. 2:75-114. 2005
- Trial by Jury: Point/Counterpoint. Cornell Law Forum. 31:10. 2005
- A Global Law of Jurisdiction and Judgments: Views from the United States and Japan. Cornell International Law Journal. 37:1-26. 2004
- Common-Law Compulsory Counterclaim Rule: Creating Effective and Elegant Res Judicata Doctrine. Notre Dame Law Review. 79:1745-1760. 2004
- How Employment-Discrimination Plaintiffs Fare in Federal Court. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies. 1:429-458. 2004
- How Employment-Discrimination Plaintiffs Fare in Federal Courts of Appeals. Employee Rights & Employment Policy Journal. 7:547-567. 2004
- Standards of Proof in Japan and the United States. Cornell International Law Journal. 37:263-284. 2004
- Teaching Civil Procedure Through its Top Ten Cases, Plus or Minus Two. Saint Louis University Law Journal. 47:111-125. 2003
- A Comparative View of Standards of Proof. American Journal of Comparative Law. 50:243-275. 2002
- Judge Harry Edwards: A Case in Point!. Washington University Law Quarterly. 80:1275. 2002
- Litigation Realities. Cornell Law Review. 88:119-154. 2002
- Plaintiphobia in the Appellate Courts: Civil Rights Really Do Differ from Negotiable Instruments. Illinois Law Review. 947. 2002
- Appeal from Jury or Judge Trial: Defendants’ Advantage. American Law and Economics Review. 3:125. 2001
- Law for Society: Nature, Functions, and Limits. New York: Aspen Publishers. 2010
- Litigation Realities Renewed. Empirical Studies of Judicial Systems. 35-104. 2008
- Victim Characteristics and Victim Impact Evidence in South Carolina Capital Cases. Wounds That Do Not Bind: Victim-Based Perspectives on the Death Penalty. 297-321. 2006
- French Article 14 Jurisdiction, Viewed from the United States. De tous horizons : Mélanges Xavier Blanc-Jouvan. 2005
- Civil Procedure Archaeology. Civil Procedure Stories. 1. 2004
- The Story of Piper: Fracturing the Foundation of 'Forum Non Conveniens'. Civil Procedure Stories. 195. 2004
- Foreword: Why Comparative Civil Procedure?. Introducing Discovery into the Civil Law. 2003
- A Comparative Puzzle: Standards of Proof. Law and Justice in a Multistate World. 2002
- An Introduction to the Hague Convention. A Global Law of Jurisdiction and Judgement: Lessons from The Hague. 2002
- Converting the Draft Hague Treaty into Domestic Jurisdictional Law. A Global Law of Jurisdiction and Judgement: Lessons from The Hague. 191. 2002
selected publications listing
- The Sacred Officials of the Eleusinian Mysteries, Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, Vol. 64, Pt. 3, 1974.
- Myth and Cult: the Iconography of the Eleusinian Mysteries (Acta Instituti Regni Sueciae, Series in octavo, Stockholm, 1992): the publication of the 1990 M. P.Nilsson Lectures.
- “What is It? Archaeological Evidence of Nineteenth-Century Agricultural Drainage Systems.” Northeast Historical Archaeology, vol 30-31: 23-40. 2003
- Eleusis. The Inscriptions on Stone. Documents of the Sanctuary of the Two Goddesses and the Public Documents of the Deme, I, Texts, II, Commentary, Archaeological Society at Athens (in press).
- "Pig Sacrifice Among the Greeks," in International Seminar: "Greek Sacrificial Ritual, Olympian and Chthonian", Göteborg, 25-27 April 1997, R. Hägg, ed (in press).
- "Initiates in the Samothracian Mysteries, September 4, 100 B.C.," Chiron 31 (2001) 27- 35.
- "Thracian Royalty in Samothrace," Praktikã, Sumposio sti Mnimi tou B. Pentãzou (Komotini, in press).
- With Karadima, Ch. 2002. "Korrane, a Sacred Woman in Samothrace." ZPE 138: 87-92.
- “Stages of Initiation in the Eleusinain and Samothracian Mysteries,” in Mysteria: The Archaeology of Ancient Greek Secret Cults,” M.B. Cosmopoulos, ed. (London, Routledge, 2003).