- Professor, Astronomy (ASTRO), College of Arts and Sciences
- Department Chairperson, Astronomy (ASTRO), College of Arts and Sciences
- View All
member of graduate field
Terry Herter's interests include normal and starburst galaxies, circumstellar disks, and the galactic center. In the recent past he has also studied HII (ionized hydrogen) regions and planetary nebulae. From time to time, he has dabbled in planetary astronomy: observing planets, moons and comets. He has also working on the development and testing of infrared arrays for ground-based, airborne, and space-based astronomy.
- FORECAST: A Widefield Infrared Camera for SOFIA
- TripleSpec 4: A Facility Near-Infrared Spectrograph for the Blanco 4-m Telescope at CTIO
principal investigator on
- FORCAST: A WIDE-FIELD INFRARED CAMERA FOR SOFIA awarded by AMES RESEARCH CENTER, NASA 1997 - 2013
- GRISM SPECTROSCOPY OBSERVING MODES WITH FAINT OBJECT INFRARED CAMERA FOR THE SOFIA TELESCOPE awarded by AMES RESEARCH CENTER, NASA 2011 - 2012
- SERVICE AGREEMENT - DESIGN PHASE OF TRIPLE SPEC 4 awarded by DIRECTORATE FOR MATHEMATICAL & PHYSICAL SCIENCES NSF 2011 - 2012
- Early Science with SOFIA, the Stratospheric Observatory For Infrared Astronomy. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Observations with SOFIA/FORCAST: 6-37 μm Imaging of the Central Orion Nebula. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Observations with SOFIA/FORCAST: 6-37 μm Imaging of Orion BN/KL. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Observations with SOFIA/FORCAST: Properties of Intermediate-luminosity Protostars and Circumstellar Disks in OMC-2. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Observations with SOFIA/FORCAST: The FORCAST Mid-infrared Camera. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Results From SOFIA/FORCAST: Super-Resolution Imaging of the S140 Cluster at 37\micron. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- First Science Results from SOFIA/FORCAST: The Mid-infrared View of the Compact H II Region W3A. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- Mid-IR FORCAST/SOFIA Observations of M82. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 749. 2012
- EPOXI: Comet 103P/Hartley 2 Observations from a Worldwide Campaign. The Astrophysical Journal. 734. 2011
- Status of the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA). Advances in Space Research. 48. 2011
- The Mid-Infrared Properties of Starburst Galaxies from Spitzer-IRS Spectroscopy. The Astrophysical Journal. 653:1129-1144. 2006
- Spectroscopic Redshifts to z > 2 for Optically Obscured Sources Discovered with the Spitzer Space Telescope. Astrophysical Journal Letters. 622:L105-L108. 2005
- The Extraordinary Mid-Infrared Spectrum of the Blue Compact Dwarf Galaxy SBS 0335-052. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series. 154:211. 2004
- The Infrared Spectrograph (IRS) on the Spitzer Space Telescope. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series. 154:18. 2004
selected publications listing
-Radio-selected Galaxies in Very Rich Cluster at z < 0.25: I. Multi-wavelength Observations and Data Reduction Techniques, G. E. Morrison, F. N. Owen, M. J. Ledlow, W. C. Keel, J. M. Hill, W. Voges, and T. Herter, 2003, ApJS, 146, 267.
-FORCAST: The Faint Object Infrared Camera for the SOFIA Telescope, Keller, Luke D., Herter, Terry L., Stacey, Gordon J., Gull, George E., Schoenwald, Justin, Pirger, Bruce, Nikola, Thomas, 2003, SPIE, 4857, 29.
-Large Atacama Telescope (LAT) project, Herter, Terry L., Brandl, Bernhard R., Eikenberry, Stephen S., Giovanelli, Riccardo, Keller, Luke D., Lester, Daniel F.; Sebring, Thomas A., Stacey, Gordon J. 2003, SPIE, 4837, 1.
-The I-Band Tully-Fisher Relation for Sc Galaxies: Optical Imaging Data, Haynes, Martha P.; Giovanelli, Riccardo; Salzer, John J.; Wegner, Gary; Freudling, Wolfram; da Costa, Luiz N.; Herter, Terry; Vogt, Nicole P. 1999, AJ, 117, 1668.
-Mid- and Far-Infrared Hybrid Focal Plane Arrays for Astronomy, T. Herter, T. L. Hayward, J. R. Houck, D. H. Seib, and W. N. Lin 1998, in SPIE Conference 3356, Space Telescopes V.
-The I-Band Tully-Fisher Relation for Cluster Galaxies: A Template Relation, its Scatter and Bias Corrections, R. Giovanelli, M. P. Haynes, T. Herter, N. P. Vogt, Gary Wegner, J. J. Salzer, L. N. Da Costa, W. Freudling 1997, AJ, 113, 53.
-The Wide-Field Infrared Explorer (WIRE), H. Schember, J. Kemp, H. Ames, P. Hacking, T. Herter, B. Fafaul, D. Everett, and L. Sparr 1996, in Infrared Technology and Applications XXII Conference, SPIE Proceedings, 2744, 751.
-Detection of Water After the Collision of Fragments G and K of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 with Jupiter,G. L. Bjoraker, S. R. Stolovy, T. L. Herter, G. E. Gull, and B. E. Pirger 1996, Icarus, 121, 411.
-IBC Arrays: Present and Future Prospects, T. Herter, 1994 in Infrared Astronomy with Arrays, ed. I. McLean, (Kluwer: Netherlands), p. 409-417.
-The Rotation Curves of Galaxies at Intermediate Redshift, N. P. Vogt, T. Herter, M. P. Haynes, and S. Courteau 1993, Ap. J. (Letters), 415, L95.
Si:Sb blocked impurity band detectors for infrared astronomy, J. E. Huffman, A. G. Crouse, B. L. Halleck, T. V. Downes, and T. Herter, 1992, J. Appl. Phys., 72, 273.
featured in archived article
- ASTRO-4940: Independent Study in Astronomy - Spring 2013
- ASTRO-6940: Advanced Study and Research - Spring 2013
- ASTRO-4940: Independent Study in Astronomy - Fall 2012
- ASTRO-6940: Advanced Study and Research - Fall 2012
- ASTRO-4940: Independent Study in Astronomy - Spring 2012
- ASTRO-6940: Advanced Study and Research - Spring 2012
- ASTRO-1101: The Nature of the Universe - Fall 2011
- ASTRO-1103: The Nature of the Universe - Fall 2011
- ASTRO-4940: Independent Study - Fall 2011
- ASTRO-6940: Advanced Study and Research - Fall 2011
education and training
- Ph.D., University of Rochester 1981