- Professor, ILR Collect Barg, Law & Hist
- View All
other Cornell affiliations
selected publications listing
- Last Days of the Working Class: A Social History of Politics and Pop in the 1970s New York: The New Press, under contract.
- Globalization: A Brief History with Documents. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press, under contract.
- Beyond the Ruins: The Meanings of Deindustrialization. Co-edited with Joseph Heathcott, foreword by Barry Bluestone. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003.
- Capital Moves: RCA’s Seventy-Year Quest for Cheap Labor. New York: The New Press, 2001 (paperback with a new epilogue by the author); Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1999 (clothbound).
Articles and Chapters:
- “‘Vigorously Left, Right, and Center at the Same Time:’ The Crosscurrents of Working- Class America in the 1970s.” America in the Seventies, eds., Beth Bailey and David Farber. (Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2004), 75-106.
- “The Meanings of Deindustrialization” (with Joseph Heathcott). Beyond the Ruins: The Meanings of Deindustrialization, eds., Jefferson Cowie and Joseph Heathcott. (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003), 1-15.
- “Nixon’s Class Struggle: Romancing the New-Right Worker, 1969-1973.” Labor History 43 (Summer 2002): 257-283.
- “National Struggles in a Transnational Economy: A Critical Analysis of Labor’s Response to NAFTA.” Labor Studies Journal 21 (Winter 1997): 3-32.
- “Working-Class Conservatism from the Hard Hats to the NASCAR Dads,” New Labor Forum, September 2004.
- “Pickup Line: Howard Dean's Assertion about Truck Drivers and Confederate Flags Was lumsy—But on the Right Track” The American Prospect Online, November 7, 2003. http://www.prospect.org/webfeatures/2003/11/cowie-j-11-07.html
- “‘A One Sided Class War’: Rethinking Doug Fraser’s 1978 Resignation from the Labor- Management Group.” In the “Notes and Documents” section of Labor History 44:3 (2003): 307-314, forthcoming.
- “Working Class.” Encyclopedia of American Culture and Intellectual History, eds. Mary Kupiec Cayton and Peter W. Williams. Vol II, pp. 431-439. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2001
- “Anything but an Industrial Town.” BookPress: The Newspaper of the Literary Arts 8 (May 1998).
- “NAFTA’s Labor Side Accord: A Textual Analysis” (and John D. French). A special pull-out section of Latin American Labor News 9 (1994).
- “U.S. Labor and Free Trade: The Future and History.” Latin American Labor News 8 (1994).
- “The Intellectual as Fan.” Reviews in American History (June 2004): 274-281.
- “Death in the Desert.” Chicago Tribune Books (4 April 2004).
- “In Search of the Postmodern Wobbly.” New Labor Forum 11 (Fall/Winter 2002): 114- 119.
- “A Century of Sweat: Subcontracting, Flexibility, and Consumption.” International Labor and Working-Class History 61 (Spring 2002): 128-140.
- “Solidarity Strikes Out.” American Prospect 13:1 (January 1-14, 2002): 41-45.
- “Fandom, Faith, and Bruce Springsteen.” Dissent (Winter 2001): 112-117.
featured in archived article
- HIST-8004: Supervised Reading - Spring 2013
- HIST-8004: Supervised Reading - Fall 2012
- HIST-8005: Supervised Reading - Fall 2012
- HIST-8004: Supervised Reading - Spring 2012
- COMM-1840: Six Pretty Good Books - Fall 2011
- COMM-4840: The Science of Social Behavior - Fall 2011
- HD-1840: Six Pretty Good Books - Fall 2011
- HD-4840: The Science of Social Behavior - Fall 2011
- HIST-8004: Supervised Reading - Fall 2011
- HIST-8005: Supervised Reading - Fall 2011
- ILRLR-1840: Six Pretty Good Books - Fall 2011
- ILRLR-4840: The Science of Social Behavior - Fall 2011
- SOC-1840: Six Pretty Good Books - Fall 2011
- SOC-4840: The Science of Social Behavior - Fall 2011
current professional activities
- 2006-present Ithaca Town Council, four year term, elected 2005
- 2006-present Governing Board, Recreational Partnership, Tompkins County
- 2006-present Advisory Board, Globalization Web Archive Project, Catherwood Library
- 2005-present Academic Standards and Ethics Committee, ILR School, Cornell
- 2005-present The New Press, Labor Advisory Committee
- 2004-present Contributing Editor, LABOR: Studies in Working-Class History in the Americas
- 2005 Chair, Philip Taft Labor History Book Prize Committee
- 2002-present Philip Taft Labor History Book Prize Committee
- 2003-present Board of Directors, Americans for Democratic Action, Washington
- 2001-present Workers' Rights Committee, Americans for Democratic Action
- 2003-present Editorial Board, International Labor and Working-Class History
- 2002-2004 Chair, Union Days Committee, Cornell University
- 1997-present Union Days Committee, Cornell University
- 2001-2004 Board of Directors, Labor and Working-Class History Association
- 2002-2004 Undergraduate Program Committee, ILR, Cornell University