- Academic Director, Animal Health Diagnostic Ctr, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Associate Professor, Population Med & Diagnostic Sci - QMPS SUBD, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Associate Professor, Office of the Provost, School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions
My research interests are at the intersection of production animal agriculture and public health at the population level - with an emphasis on dairy cattle. On-going projects are in the areas of calf infectious diseases and performance and transition cow health and performance. I teach a variety of bovine herd health and epidemiology classes as well as provide consulting and emergency service for the dairy industry.
- View All
- Dairy Program Committee Member
- David R. Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future (ACSF) Faculty Fellow
other Cornell affiliations
has primary specialization area
has secondary specialization area
- Intersection of production animal agriculture and public health at the population level -- with an emphasis on cattle
- Employing varied laboratory and epidemiologic techniques, including risk analysis, to producer and public health problems associated with dairy calves, particularly cryptosporidiosis
principal investigator on
- USING ELEMENTAL IODINE VAPOR BUBBLES IN A LIQUID MEDIUM TOINACTIVATE MASTITIS AND ENVIRONMENTAL PATHOGENS IN A DAIRY ENVIRONMENT 2014 - 2016
- BOVINE ROTAVIRUS VACCINE PIVOTAL TRIAL 2014 2014 - 2015
- THE INFLUENCE OF MATERNAL ENERGY STATUS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE ON BOVINE COLOSTRUM COMPOSITION awarded by AMERICAN ASSOC BOVINE PRACTITIONERS 2013 - 2015
- BOVINE ROTAVIRUS CHALLENGE MODEL CONFIRMATION 2014 - 2015
- KETOSIS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE IN TRANSITION DAIRY COWS: CHARACTERIZATION AND CONTROL MEASURES TO INCREASE HEALTH AND PRODUCTION awarded by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE-USDA 2012 - 2015
- BOVINE CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS PASSIVE PROTECTION STUDY 2014
co-principal investigator on
- ASSOCIATION BETWEEN SELECT BULK TANK BACTERIA COUNTS AND MILK QUALITY 2014 - 2016
- MICROARRAY DEVELOPMENT 2013 - 2015
- ASSOCIATIONS OF NUTRITIONAL STRATEGY AND GROUPING MANAGEMENT DURING THE DRY PERIOD AND EARLY LACTATION WITH BIOMARKERS OF ENERGY METABOLISM AND INFLAMMATION, HEALTH, MILK YIELD, AND REPRODUCTIVE PERFO awarded by NEW YORK FARM VIABILITY INSTITUTE 2013 - 2015
- Elevated non-esterified fatty acids and B-hydroxybutyrate and their association with transition dairy cow performance.. The Veterinary Journal. 198:560-570. 2013
- Using nonesterified fatty acids and B-hydroxybutyrate concentrations during the transition period for herd-level monitoring of increased risk of disease and decreased reproductive and milking performance.. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. 29:387-412. 2013
- Association of biomarkers of stress, inflammation, and negative energy balance with milk yield and reproductive performance in Holstein dairy cows.. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:705. 2012
- Effect of diagnostic low-volume uterine lavage shortly before first service on reproduction, culling, and milk production in dairy cows. Theriogenology. 77:1217-1222. 2012
- Effect of nutritional plane on health and performance in dairy calves after experimental infection with Cryptosporidium parvum. Journal American Veterinary Medical Association. 241:1514-1520. 2012
- Effects of chromium propionate supplementation during the periparturient period and early lactation on metabolism, performance, and subclinical endometritis in dairy cows.. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:485. 2012
- The effects of overstocking Holstein dairy cattle during the dry period on cortisol secretion and energy metabolism.. Journal of Dairy Science. 95:4421-4433. 2012
- Use of reagent test strip for the diagnosis of endometritis in dairy cows. Theriogenology. 77:858-864. 2012
- Associations of prepartum plasma cortisol, haptoglobin, fecal cortisol metabolites, and nonesterified fatty acids with postpartum health status in Holstein dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 94:5878-5889. 2011
- Cow and herd-level risk factors for subclinical endometritis in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 94:762-770. 2011
- The effects of increased milking frequency during early lactation on milk yield and milk composition on commercial dairy farms. Journal of Dairy Science. 94:4398-4405. 2011
- Association between peripartum cortisol, haptoglobin, nonesterified fatty acids, and milk yield in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:673. 2010
- Association between the proportion of sampled transition cows with increased nonesterified fatty acids and β-hydroxybutyrate and disease incidence, pregnancy rate, and milk production at the herd level. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:3595-3601. 2010
- Associations of elevated nonesterified fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate concentrations with early lactation reproductive performance and milk production in transition dairy cattle in the northeastern United States. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:1596-1603. 2010
- Evaluation of nonesterified fatty acids and beta-hydroxybutyrate in transition dairy cattle in the northeastern United States: Critical thresholds for prediction of clinical diseases. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:546-554. 2010
- Evaluation of NEFA and β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) as predictors of clinical disease, milk production and reproductive performance in dairy cattle . Journal of Dairy Science. 92:141. 2009
- Peripartum measures of stress, inflammation and energy status as predictors for postpartum health disorders in transition dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 92:120. 2009
- Monitoring negative energy balance in transition cows for better herd results.. Proceedings, Western Dairy Management Conference. 61-74. 2013
- Monitoring negative energy balance in transition cows for better herd results.. Proceedings, Mid-South Ruminant Nutrition Conference. 5-17. 2013
- Monitoring negative energy balance in transition cows for herd results.. Proceedings, Tri-State Dairy Nutrition Conference. 9-22. 2013
- The influence of different dry period nutritional planes on immunoglobulin G concentration of bovine colostrum.. Proc. 46th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. 2013
- Predicting transition cow health and performance Ð Use of blood and fecal biomarkers for herd-level evaluation and diagnostics.. Northeast Dairy Producers Association Conference. 2012
- The coefficient of determination between NEFA and BHBA and the association between their ratio and the development of disease in healthy cows sampled during the post-partum period.. 43rd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. 2012
- Using physiological markers in herd-level transition diagnostics.. Four-State Dairy Nutrition and Management Conference. 2012
- Predicting Transition Cow Health and Performance Ð Use of Blood and Biomarkers for Herd-Level Evaluation and Diagnostics . Proceedings, Feed Dealer Seminars. Animal Science Publication Series. 48-58. 2011
- Use of a competition index to describe differences in physiological parameters associated with energy metabolism and stress in overstocked Holstein dairy cows. Proceedings, Cornell Nutrition Conference for Feed Manufacturers. 215-216. 2011
- Comparison between individual and pooled samples of Non-Esterified Fatty Acids (NEFA) and B-hydroxybutyrate (BHBA) in transition dairy cows to determine herd alarm level status. Proceedings, 43rd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. 2010
- Using energy related metabolites to identify opportunities for improved transition cow management. Proceedings, Advanced Dairy Management and Nutrition shortcourse. 2010
- Evaluation of the Effect of Non-Esterified Fatty Acids (NEFA) and Β-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB) Concentrations on Health, Reproduction and Production in Transition Dairy Cattle from the Northeast USA. Proceedings, Cornell Nutrition Conference for Feed Manufacturers. 97-103. 2009
- Evaluation of the Effect of Non-Esterified Fatty Acids (NEFA) and Β-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB) Concentrations on Health, Reproduction and Production in Transition Dairy Cattle from the Northeast USA. Proceedings of the Feed Dealer Seminars, Animal Science Mimeo 238. 44-48. 2009
- Integrating nutrition and grouping management of transition cows. Proceedings of the Feed Dealer Seminars, Animal Science Mimeo 238. 36-43. 2009
- Integrating nutritional and grouping management of transition cows. Proceedings, Cornell Nutrition Conference for Feed Manufacturers. 104-110. 2009
- Strategies to evaluate transition cow health -- Results and implications from New York field studies.. Proceedings of the Feed Dealer Seminars, Animal Science Mimeo 238. 49-71. 2009
- Evaluation of NEFA and BHB in the transition period as predictors of clinical disease. Proceedings, 8th Fall Dairy Conference. 85-90. 2008
- Evaluation of non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) through the transition period as a predictor of clinical disease. Bovine Proceedings. 2008
- Field study to investigate the risk factors for milk fat depression (MFD) in dairy herds feeding Rumensin. Proceedings, Feed Dealer Seminars. 22-33. 2008
- Risk factors for bulk tank milk fat depression in Northeast and Midwest US dairy herds feeding monensin. Abstracts. 2008
selected publications listing
- Gardner RB, Nydam DV, Juna JA, Bicalho M, Matychak MB, Flaminio MJ. Serum opsonization capacity, phagocytosis and oxidative burst activity in neonatal foals in the intensive care unit. J Vet Intern Med. 2007; July/August, 21: 797-805.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Leslie KE, Duffield T, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Calf-level risk factors for neonatal diarrhea and shedding of Cryptosporidium parvum in Ontario dairy calves: Prev Vet Med. June 2007; 82: 12-28.
- Ziegler PA, Santucci F, Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf S, Chang YF, Mohammed HO. Evaluation of Polymerase chain reaction diagnosis of Cryptosporidium spp. in Dairy Cattle and Wildlife. Vet Ther. 2007 Summer;8(2):148-59.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Leslie KE, Duffield T, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Association between management practices and within-herd prevalence of Cryptosporidium parvum shedding on dairy farms in southern Ontario. Prev Vet Med. May 2007; (Epub).
- Flaminio MJ, Borges AS, Nydam DV, Hecker R, Horohov DW, Matychak MB. The effect of CpG-ODN on antigen presenting cells of the foal. J Immun Based Therapies Vac. 2007; Jan 25;5(1):1.
- Wilke MM, Nydam DV, Nixon AJ. Enhanced early chondrogenesis in articular defects following arthroscopic mesenchymal stem cell implantation in an equine model. J Ortho Res. 2007 Jul; 25(7):913-925.
- Stokol T and Nydam DV. Effect of hemolysis on non-esterified fatty acid and B-hydroxybutyrate concentrations in bovine blood. J Vet Diagn Invest 2006; Sep; 18: 466-469.
- Figuerido MD, Nydam DV, Perkins GA, Mitchell HM, Divers TJ. Prognostic value of blood lactate concentration measured cow-side using a portable clinical analyzer in Holstein dairy cattle with abomasal disorders. J Vet Intern Med 2006; 20: 1463-1470.
- Bicalho RC, Cheong SH, Warnick LD, Nydam DV, Guard CL. The effect of digit amputation or arthrodesis surgery on culling and milk production in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2006; Jul;89(7):2596-602.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin DS, Gatei W, Cama V, Peregrine AS, Martin SW, Nydam DV, Jamieson F, Xiao L. Genotype and subtype analyses of Cryptosporidium isolates from dairy calves and humans in southern Ontario. Parasit Res 2006 Sep;99(4):346-52.
- Flaminio MJBF, Nydam DV, Sebastian M, Bernard WV, Hillegas JM, Matychak MB. The Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome (MRLS) and the Eastern Tent Caterpillar: Immunological Testing of Aborting Mares. Intern J App Res Vet Med 2005; Vol 3 No. 3: 207-216.
- Gardner RB, Nydam DV, Mohammed HO, Ducharme NG, Divers TJ. Elevations in Serum Gamma Glutamyl Transferase Values in Horses with Right Dorsal Displacements of the Large Colon. J Vet Intern Med 2005; 19(5):761-764.
- Nydam DV and Mohammed HO. Quantitative risk assessment of Cryptosporidium spp. infection in calves on dairy farms. J Dairy Sci 2005; 88(9): 3932-3943.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Martin D, Duffield T, Leslie KE, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Multiattribute evaluation of two simple tests for the detection of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts in calf faeces. Vet Parasit 2005; 134: 15-23.
- Stokol T and Nydam DV. Effect of anticoagulant, storage temperature, and duration of storage on non-esterified fatty acid and B-hydroxybutyrate concentrations from dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2005; 88 (9): 3139-44.
- Nydam DV, Lindergard GL, Santucci F, Schaff SL, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. Risk of Cryptosporidium parvum and Cryptosporidium hominis in dairy cattle in a New York watershed. Am J Vet Res 2005; 66 No. 3, 413-417
- Mitchell HM, Nydam DV, Reyher KK, Gilbert RO. The Opportunities Map at Cornell University: Finding Direction in Dairy Production Medicine. J Vet Med Educ. 2004 Winter;31(4):381-4
- Gelzer ARM, Attmann T, Radicke D, Nydam DV, Candinas R, Barton M, Lutter G, Effects of Acute Systemic Endothelin Receptor Blockade on Cardiac Electrophysiology in Vivo. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004 Nov;44(5):564-570.
- Gardner CE, Nydam DV, Ellis RG, Kelsey S, McDonough PL, Warnick LD. Management of an outbreak of salmonellosis on a commercial calf raising unit. Bov Pract 2004 Vol 38 No. 2: 147-154.
- Schatzberg SJ, Cutter-Schatzberg K, Nydam DV, Barrett J, Penn R, Flanders J, deLahunta A, Lin L, Mignot E. Case study: The effect of hypocretin replacement therapy in a 3 year old Weimaraner with narcolepsy. J Vet Intern Med. 2004; 18(4):586-8.
- Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO. The sensitivity of PCR detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts in fecal samples using two DNA extraction methods. Mol Diagn. 2003;7(3):147-53
- Wakshlag JJ, Cooper RR, Wakshlag RR, Kallfelz FA, Barr SC, Nydam DV, Dimauro S. Biochemical evaluation of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzymes in canine skeletal muscle. Am J Vet Res 2004 65 (4): 480 - 484
- Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaff SL, Mohammed HO. A novel multiplex polymerase chain reaction approach for detection of four human infective Cryptosporidium isolates: Cryptosporidium parvum, types H and C, Cryptosporidium canis, and Cryptosporidium felis in fecal and soil samples. J Vet Diag Invest 2003 15: 262-267
- Perkins G, Nydam DV, Flaminio J., Ainsworth DM. Serum IgM concentrations in normal fit horses and in horses with lymphoma or other medical conditions. J Vet Intern Med. 2003 17(3)
- Perkins GA, Yeager A, Erb HN, Nydam DV, Divers TJ, Bowman JL. Survival of foals with experimentally induced Rhodococcus equi infection given hyperimmune plasma containing Rhodococcus equi antibody or normal equine plasma. Vet Therapeutics. 2002 Vol 3, No 3 Fall: 334-346.
- Perkins G, Lamb S, Erb HN, Schanbacher B, Nydam DV, Divers TJ. Plasma adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) concentration and clinical response in horses treated for Cushing's Disease with cyproheptadine and pergolide. Equine Vet J 2002 34 (7) 679-685.
- Warnick LD, Nydam DV, Maciel A, Wade SE, Guard CL. Descriptive epidemiology of udder cleft dermatitis in a dairy herd with Sarcoptic mange. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 Jul 15; 221(2):273-279.
- Nydam DV, Lindergard GL, Guard CL, Schaaf SL, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. Serological detection of exposure to Cryptosporidium parvum in cattle by ELISA and evaluation in relation to coprological tests. Parasitol Res. 2002 Sep; 88(9): 797-803.
- Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO. Number of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts and Giardia spp. cysts shed by dairy calves after natural infection. Am J Vet Res 2001 Oct; 62 (10):1612-1615
- Gonzalez RN, Bennett GJ, Sickles SA, Nydam DV. Impact of Prototheca mastitis on bulk tank somatic cell count and standard plate count. The Bovine Proceedings, 31:216-217, 1998
- ANSC-7900: Graduate-Level Thesis Research - Fall 2014
- ANSC-7900: Graduate-Level Thesis Research - Fall 2015
- ANSC-7900: Graduate-Level Thesis Research - Spring 2014
- ANSC-7900: Graduate-Level Thesis Research - Spring 2015
- VTMED-6555: Dairy Business Management and Health Economics - Spring 2015
- VTMED-6556: Dairy Herd Epidemiology - Spring 2015
- VTMED-6559: Applied Dairy Nutrition for Practitioners - Spring 2014
- VTMED-6559: Applied Dairy Nutrition for Practitioners - Spring 2015
- VTMED-6598: Special Projects in Veterinary Medicine - Spring 2015
- VTMED-6599: Research Opportunities in Veterinary Medicine - Spring 2014
- VTMED-6723: Veterinary Medicine in Developing Nations - Spring 2014
- VTMED-6733: Veterinarians and Food-Animal Production Systems: An Introduction - Spring 2014
- VTMED-6733: Veterinarians and Food-Animal Production Systems: An Introduction - Spring 2015
- VTPMD-7660: Graduate Research - Fall 2014
- VTPMD-7660: Graduate Research - Fall 2015
- VTPMD-7660: Graduate Research - Spring 2014
- VTPMD-7660: Graduate Research - Spring 2015
- VTPMD-7990: Independent Studies in Epidemiology - Fall 2015
- Daryl Van Nydam