My original work was on dairy cows and calves: descriptive epidemiology, risk-factor analyses, and also long-term consequences of diseases. I have been Chief Editor of the journal,"Preventive Veterinary Medicine" for over a decade, so I have considerable insight into "who is doing what, and where." My current research role is primarily as a collaborator for issues of study design and analysis throughout the Veterinary College and also in the Department of Animal Sciences; I therefore at any one time am usually involved in 10 or 12 varied applied projects (ranging from randomized clinical trials through retrospective studies; and for all kinds of animal species).
- View All
other Cornell affiliations
- My current research role is primarily as a collaborator for issues of study design and analysis throughout the Veterinary College and also in the Department of Animal Sciences; I therefore at any one time am usually involved in 10 or 12 varied applied projects (ranging from randomized clinical trials through retrospective studies; and for all kinds of animal species).
- Comparison of Glomerular Filtration Rate Determined by Use of Single-slice Dynamic Computed Tomography and Scintigraphy in Cats. Am. J. Vet. Res.. 7:463-469. 2012
- Equine stomach harbors an abundant and diverse mucosal.. Applied Environmental Microbiology. 78:2522-2532. 2012
- Biochemical variables in free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) following chemical immobilization in clover traps or via ground-darting. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine. 42:18-28. 2011
- Associations between cardiopulmonary variables and the cerebrospinal fluid signal-void sign in small-breed dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 50:360-363. 2009
- Relation between age, body weight and medial retropharyngeal lymph node size in apparently healthy dogs. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 49:277-281. 2008
- Evaluation of agreement between two instruments in measurements of radiation dose rates in cats that underwent iodine 131 treatment 2007
- Investigation of two methods for assessing thyroid-lobe asymmetry during pertechnetate scintigraphy in suspected hyperthyroid cats. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 48:383-387. 2007
- Evaluation of factors associated with survival in dogs with untreated nasal carcinomas: 139 cases (1993–2003). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 229:401-406. 2006
- Accuracy of increased thyroid activity during pertechnetate scintigraphy by subcutaneous injection for diagnosing hyperthyroidism in cats. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 47:206-211. 2006
- Identifying removable radioactivity on the surface of cats during the first week after treatment with iodine. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 47:507-509. 2006
- Evaluation of decision criteria for detection of spinal cord compression based on cervical myelography in horses: 38 cases (1981–2001). Equine Veterinary Journal. 36:14-20. 2004
- Chenopodium ambrosioides and its essential oil as treatments for Haemonchus contortus and mixed adult-nematode infections in goats. Small Ruminant Research. 44:193-200. 2002
- Effects of alley and stall surfaces on indices of claw and leg health in dairy cattle housed in a free-stall barn. Journal of Dairy Science. 84:2686-2699. 2001
- Effects of three prepubertal body growth rates on performance of Holstein heifers during first lactation. Journal of Dairy Science. 81:527-538. 1998
- Use of prostaglandin F2a as a postpartum reproductive management tool for lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 78:1477-1488. 1995
- Herd-level risk factors for postpartum disorders of Holstein-Friesian Cows from 32 New York Herds. Journal of Dairy Science. 73:3192-3200. 1990
- Relationship of changes in condition score to cow health in Holsteins. Journal of Dairy Science. 73:3132-3140. 1990
- Effects of prepartum milking on milk production and health performance. Journal of Dairy Science. 71:1406-16. 1989
- Heritabilities of and genetic correlations among six health problems in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 72:180-186. 1989
- Long-term evaluation of a prolonged-release formulation of N-methionyl bovine somatotropin in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 72:642-651. 1989
- Risk Factors for reason-specific culling of dairy cows. Prev Vet Med. 6:243-251. 1988
- Risk factors for environmental mastitis: an ecological study. American Journal of Veterinarian Research. 49:766-769. 1988
- The relation between mastitis and retained placenta in a commercial population of dairy cows. Prev Vet Medicine. 5:181-190. 1988
- Effect of 188-day treatment with somatotropin on health and reproductive performance of lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 70:582-591. 1987
- Effects of premilking stimulation on complete lactation milk yield and milking performance. Journal of Dairy Science. 70:1676. 1987
- Effects of sixty day milk yield on postpartum breeding performance in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 70:2355-2365. 1987
- The effects of periparturient events on breeding performance of dairy cows. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 3:501-511. 1987
- Milk iodine residues in herds practicing iodophor premilking teat disinfection. Journal of Dairy Science. 69:267. 1986
- Duration of retained fetal membranes and subsequent fertility in dairy cows. Theriogenology. 23:807-813. 1985
- Path Analysis of Dry Period Nutrition, Postpartum Metabolic and Reproductive Disorders, and Mastitis in Holstein Cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 68:2347-2360. 1985
- Path model of reproductive disorders and performance, milk fever, mastitis, milk yield, and culling in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 68:3337-3349. 1985
- Path model of reproductive disorders and performance, milk fever, mastitis, milk yield, and culling in multiparous cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 68:3337-3349. 1985
- Epidemiology of parturient paresis: predisposing factors with emphasis on dry cow feeding and management. Journal of Dairy Science. 67:817-825. 1984
- Path analysis of the association between nutrition and periparturient disorders in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 67:42. 1984
- Association of parturient hypocalcemia with eight periparturient disorders in Holstein cows. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 183:559-561. 1983
- Rates of diagnoses of six diseases in Holstein cows during 15-day and 12-day intervals. American Journal of Veterinarian Research. 45:333-335. 1983
- The importance of early postpartum ovulation for reproduction in dairy cows. XXIVth World Buiatrics Congress. 2006
- Effects of different concentrations of iodophor premilking disinfectant teat dips on iodine residue of milk in dairy herds. National Mastitis Council Annual Meeting. 1985
- Reproductive disorders: incidence, effect on reproductive performance and cost. Proc. Dairy Days. 19-25. 1985
- Effect of pre-pubertal growth rate in Holstein heifers on first lactation milk yield. 185. 1994
- The effect of different elective-waiting-to-breed-period lengths on net-present-value net income in dairy cattle treated with exogenous somatotropin by computer stimulation. 127. 1994
- Use of prostaglandin as a postpartum reproductive management tool in lactating dairy cattle. 163. 1993
- Effect of long term sometribove, USAN (recombinant methionyl bovine somatotropin), treatment in a prolonged release system on milk yield, animal health and reproductive performance-pooled across four sites. 210. 1988
- Lactational performance of dairy cows treated with a prolonged-release formulation of methionyl bovine somatotropin (sometribove). 205. 1988
- Effects of daily exogenous oxytocin on milk yield of early lactating cows. 228. 1987
- Effects of prepartum milking on associated health disorders, mastitis, and milk production response. 197. 1985
- Epidemiology of parturient paresis: dry cow management and feeding in Holstein cows. 240. 1983
selected publications listing
- Cavatorta, DJ, HN ERB, and MJBF Flaminio. Ex vivo generation of mature equine monocyte-derived dendritic cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol (Accepted.)
- Wagner, B, B Child, and HN ERB. A histamine release assay to identify sensitization to Culicoides allergens in horses with skin hypersensitivity. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. (Accepted.)
- Burton, AB, B Wagner, HN ERB, and DM Ainsworth. Serum interleukin-6 (IL-6) and IL-10 concentrations in normal and septic neonatal foals. Vet Immunol Immunopathol (in press).
- Cohen, RD, DW Scott, and HN ERB. Prevalence, number and morphologic types of multinucleated histiocytic giant cells in equine inflammatory dermatoses: A retrospective light miscroscopic study of skin-biopsy specimens from 362 horses.Eq Vet J 41: 406-409. 2009.
- Little, AA, U Krotschek, DM Boothe, and HN ERB. Pharmacokinetics of buccal mucosal administration of fentanyl in a carboxymethylcellulose gel compared with IV administration in dogs. Vet Therapeutics 9: 201-211. 2009.
- Fischer, BL, JW Ludders, M Asakawa, LA Fortier, SL Fubini, AJ Nixon, RM Radcliffe, and HN ERB. A comparison of epidural buprenorphine plus detomidinewith morphine plus detomidine in horses undergoing bilateral stifle arthroscopy. Vet Anaesthesia Analges 16: 67-76. 2009.
- Ainsworth, DM, M Matychak, CL Reyner, HN ERB, and JC Young. Effects of in vitro exposure to hay dust on the gene expression of cytokines and cell-surface receptors in primary bronchial epithelial cell cultures established from horses with chronic recurrent airway obstruction. Am J Vet Res 70: 365-372. 2009.
- Perkins, GA, L Viel, B Wagner, A Hoffman, HN ERB, and DM Ainsworth. Histamine bronchoprovocation does not affect bronchoalveolar lavage fulid cytology, gene expression and protein concentrations of IL-4, IL-8 and IFN-gamma. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 126: 230-235. 2008.
- Frankel, JL, DW Scott, and HN ERB. Gross and cytological characteristics of normal feline anal-sac secretions. J Fel Med Surg 10: 319-323. 2008.
- Posner, LP, M Asakawa, and HN ERB. Use of propofol for anesthesia in cats with primary hepatic lipidosis: 44 cases (1995-2004). J Am Vet Med Assoc 232: 1841-1843. 2008.
- Stokol, T, M Brooks, JE Rush, M Rishniw, H ERB, E Rozanski, M Kraus, and AL Gelzer. Hypercoagulability in cats with cardiomyopathy. J Vet Intern Med 22: 546-552. 2008.
- DeLuca, L, HN ERB, JC Young, GA Perkins, and DM Ainsworth. The effect of adding oral dexamethasone to feed alterations on the inflammatory gene expression in stabled horses affected with recurrent airway obstruction. J Vet Intern Med 22: 427-435. 2008.
- Burns, GO, PV Scrivani, MS Thompson, and HN ERB. Relation between age, body weight, and medial retropharyngeal lymph node size in apparaently healthy dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 49: 277-281. 2008.
- Ramstedt, KL, SA Center, JF Randolph, AE Yeager, HN ERB, and KL Warner. Changes in gallbladder volume in healthy dogs after food was withheld for 12 hours followed by ingestion of a meal or a meal containing erythromycin. Am J Vet Res 69: 647-651. 2008.
- Kiselow, MA, KM Rassnick, SP McDonough, RE Goldstein, KW Simpson, TK Weinkle, and HN ERB. Outcome of cats with low-grade, lymphocytic lymphoma: 41 cases (1995-2005). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 232: 405-410. 2008.
- Campoy, L, M Martin Flores, AL Looney, HN ERB, JW Ludders, JE Stewart, RD Gleed, and M Asakawa. Distribution of a lidocaine-methylene blue solution in brachial plexus, psoas compartment (lumbar plexus), and sciatic nerve blocks in the dog. Vet Anaesthesia Analges 35: 348-354. 2008.
- Wagner, B, A Glaser, JM Hillegas, HN ERB, C Gold, and H Freer. Monocolonal antibodies to equine IgM improve the sensitivity of West Nile virus-specific IgM detection in horses. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 122: 46-56. 2008
- Martin Flores, M, L Campoy, JW Ludders, HN ERB, and RD Gleed. Comparison between acceleromyography and visual assessment of train-of-four for monitoring neuromuscular blockade in horses undergoing surgery. Vet Anaesthesia Analges 35: 220-227. 2008.
- Bischoff, K, C Lamm, HN ERB, and JR Hillebrandt. The effects of formalin fixation and tissue embedding on copper, iron, and zinc analysis. J Vet Diagnostic Invest 20:220-224. 2008
- Kukekova, AV, LN Trut, K Chase, DV Shepeleva, AV Vladimirova, AV Kharlamova, IN Oskina, A Stepika, S Klebanov, HN ERB, and GM Acland. Measurement of segregating behaviors in experimental silver fox pedigrees. Behav Genet 38: 185-194. 2008.
current professional activities
- Chief Editor, Preventive Veterinary Medicine, for over a decade
- Chief Editor, Preventive Veterinary Medicine, for over a decade