"My research interest is the epidemiology of production diseases in dairy cows. The purpose of my current work is to develop a comprehensive economic model to assist farmers in making treatment and culling decisions of dairy cows.
Currently I have two research projects and one distance learning project funded by the USDA. The
two research projects are:
- "Optimizing and delivering dairy herd health and management decisions" and
- "The effect of clinical mastitis on milk yield, culling, and profitability in dairy cows"
The purpose of the distance learning project, "Integrated Simulation and Economic Models to Teach Dairy Herd Health Management", is to convert the research models to more user-friendly versions for educational purposes."
- View All
other Cornell affiliations
principal investigator on
- US-UK COLLAB: MYCOBACTERIAL TRANSMISSION DYNAMICS IN AGRICULTURAL SYSTEMS: INTEGRATING PHYLOGENETICS, EPIDEMIOLOGY, ECOLOGY, AND ECONOMICS awarded by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE-USDA 2014 - 2018
- GENOME WIDE ANALYSIS OF M. PARATUBERCULOSIS PATHOGENESIS awarded by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE-USDA 2013 - 2017
- PRACTICAL INTERVENTIONS TO EFFECTIVELY MANAGE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN BEEF AND DAIRY CATTLE SYSTEMS: A FULLY INTEGRATED APPROACH awarded by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE-USDA 2010 - 2015
co-principal investigator on
- Minimum Cost to Control bovine Tuberculosis in Cow-Calf Herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 115:18-28. 2014
- Landscape and Meteorological Factors Affecting Prevalence of Three Foodborne Pathogens in Fruit and Vegetable Farms. . Applied Environmental Microbiology. 79:588-600. 2013
- The Effect of Repeated Episodes of Bacteria-specific Clinical Mastitis on Mortality and Culling in Holstein Dairy Cows.. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:4993-5007. 2013
- Farm animal contact as risk factor for transmission of bovine-associated Salmonella subtypes.. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 18:1929-1936. 2012
- Bayesian Analysis of Longitudinal Johne's Disease Diagnostic Data without a Gold Standard test. Journal of Dairy Science. 5:2320-2328. 2011
- Prevalence, distribution, and diversity of Listeria monocytogenes in retail environments, focusing on small establishments and establishments with a history of failed inspections. Journal of Food Protection. 74:1083-1095. 2011
- Salmonella Cerro isolated over the past twenty years from various sources in the US represent a single predominant Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis type. Vet Microbiology. 150:389-393. 2011
- The cost and management of different types of clinical mastitis in dairy cows estimated by dynamic programming. Journal of Dairy Science. 94:4476-4487. 2011
- The effect of recurrent episodes of clinical mastitis caused by gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria and other organisms on mortality and culling in Holstein dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 94:4863-4877. 2011
- Economic analysis of the cross-reactivity of John’s disease vaccination with tuberculosis in dairy cattle. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 92:1446-1455. 2010
- Quantitative Risk Assessment of Listeriosis-associated Deaths due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination of deli meats originating from manufacture and retail. Journal of Food Protection. 73:620-630. 2010
- Salmonella enterica serotype Cerro among dairy cattle in New York: an emerging pathogen?. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 7:659-665. 2010
- The effect of Johne’s disease status on reproduction and culling in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science. 93:3513-3524. 2010
- Transmission dynamics of a multi-drug resistant Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak in a dairy farm. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 7:467-474. 2010
- Effects of repeated gram-positive and gram-negative clinical mastitis episodes on milk yield loss in Holstein dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 92:3091-3105. 2009
- Fecal Shedding, antimicrobial resistance, and serological response to Salmonella Typhimurium in dairy calves. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 235:739-748. 2009
- Salmonella 4,5,12:i:-: an emerging Salmonella serotype that represents multiple distinct clones. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 47:3546-3556. 2009
- Use of a dynamic programming model to estimate the value of clinical mastitis treatment and prevention options utilized by dairy producers. Agricultural Systems. 99:6-12. 2009
- Effects of repeated episodes of generic clinical mastitis on mortality and culling in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 91:2196-2204. 2008
- The cost of generic clinical mastitis in dairy cows as estimated by using dynamic programming. Journal of Dairy Science. 91:2205-2214. 2008
- Effect of Repeated Episodes of Generic Clinical Mastitis on Milk Yield in Dairy Cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 90:4643-4653. 2007
- Optimal Levels of Inputs to Control Listeria Monocytogenes Contamination at a Smoked Fish Plant. Agribusiness. 23:229-244. 2007
- Daily Variability of Listeria Contamination Patterns in a Cold-smoked Salmon Processing Operation. Journal of Food Protection. 69:2123-2133. 2006
- Evaluation of farm-management practices as risk factor for clinical listeriosis and fecal shedding of Listeria monocytogenes in ruminants. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 227:1808-1814. 2005
- Ecology and transmission of Listeria monocytogenes infecting ruminants and in the farm environment. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 70:4458-4467. 2004
- Effects of diseases on reproductive performance measures in Swedish Red and White dairy cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 66:113-126. 2004
- The cost and benefit of Listeria Monocytogenes food safety measures. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 44:513-523. 2004
- Use of prostaglandin F2a as a postpartum reproductive management tool for lactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 78:1477-1488. 1995
- Epidemiology of listeriosis. Microbial Food Safety in Animal Agriculture: Current Topics. 221-232. 2003
selected publications listing
Hu, Y., K. Gall, A. J. Ho, R. Ivanek, Y. T. Gröhn, and M. Wiedmann. 2005. Daily variability of Listeria contamination patterns in a cold-smoked salmon processing operation. J. Food Prot., 2006, 69: 2123-2133.
Wang, C., B. Turnbull, Y. T. Gröhn, and S. S. Nielsen. Estimating ROC curves with covariates when there is no perfect reference test for diagnosis of Johne’s Disease. J. Dairy Sci., 2006, 89: 3038-3046.
Ivanek, R, Y. T. Gröhn, and M. Wiedmann. Listeria monocytogenes in multiple habitats and host populations: review of available data for mathematical modeling. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, 2006, 3: 319-336.
Alcaine, S. D., Y. Soyer, L. D. Warnick, W.-L. Su, S. S. Sukhnanand, J. Richards, E. D. Fortes, P. McDonough, T. P. Root, N. B. Dumas, Y. T. Gröhn, and M. Wiedmann. 2006. Multilocus sequence typing supports that cattle and human associated Salmonella represent distinct and overlapping populations. Appl. Environ. Micro. 2006, 72: 7575-7585.
Haugan, T., Y. T. Gröhn, E. Kommisrud, E. Ropstad, and O. Reksen. Effects of sperm concentration at semen collection and storage period of frozen semen on dairy cow conception. Anim Reprod Sci. 2007, 97: 1-11.
Ivanek, R, Y. T. Gröhn, A. J. Ho, and M. Wiedmann. Markov chain approach to analyze the dynamics of pathogen fecal shedding -Example of Listeria monocytogenes shedding in a herd of dairy cattle. J of Theoretical Biology. 2007, 245: 44-58.
Tauer, L. W., C. R. Nightingale, R. Ivanek, Y. T. Gröhn, and M. Wiedmann. Optimal levels of inputs to control Listeria monocytogenes contamination at a smoked fish plant. Agribusiness: an International Journal. 2007, 23: 229-244.
Haugan, T., A. H. Gaustad, O. Reksen, Y. T. Gröhn, and P. O. Hofmo. Fertility results of artificial insemination performed with liquid boar semen stored in X-cell versus BTS extender. Reprod Domest Anim. 2007, 42:94-9.
Wang, C., B. Turnbull, Y. T. Gröhn, and S. S. Nielsen. Nonparametric estimation of ROC curves based on Bayesian models when the true disease state is unknown. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics. 2007, 12, 128-¬146.
Ho, A. J., R. Ivanek, Y. T. Gröhn, K. K. Nightingale, and M. Wiedmann. Listeria monocytogenes fecal shedding in dairy cattle shows high levels of day-to-day variation and includes outbreaks and sporadic cases of shedding of specific L. monocytogenes subtypes. Prev Vet Med. 2007, 80: 287-305.
Wilson, D. J., B. A. Mallard, J. J. Burton, Y. H. Schukken, and Y. T. Gröhn. Milk and serum J5-specific antibody responses, milk production change and clinical effects following intramammary Escherichia coli challenge for J5 vaccinate and control cows. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 2007, 14: 693-699.
Wilson, D. J., Y. T. Gröhn, G. J. Bennet, Y. H. Schukken, and J. Spatz. Comparison of J5 vaccinates and controls for incidence, etiologic agent, clinical severity, and survival in the herd following naturally occurring cases of clinical mastitis. J. Dairy Sci., 2007, 90: 4282-4360.
Bar, D., Y. T. Gröhn, R. N. Gonzalez, J. A. Hertl, H. F. Schulte, G. J. Bennett, L. W. Tauer, Y. H. Schukken. Effect of repeated episodes of generic clinical mastitis on milk yield in dairy cows J. Dairy Sci., 2007, 90: 4643-4653.
Gröhn, Y. T., J. A. Hertl, R. Ivanek, K. Abou-Zeid, and M. Wiedmann. How university researchers can contribute to farm-to-table risk assessment. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease , 2007, 4: 527-537.
Chapagain, P., J. A. Van Kessel, J. S. Karns, D. R. Wolfgang, Y. H. Schukken, Y. T. Gröhn. A mathematical model of the dynamics of Salmonella Cerro infection in a US dairy herd. Epidemiology and Infection, 2008, 136: 263-272.
Mitchell, R. M., R. H. Whitlock, S. M. Stehman, A. Benedictus, P. Chapagain, Y. T. Gröhn, and Y. H. Schukken. Simulation modeling to evaluate the persistence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (MAP) on commercial dairy farms in the United States. Prev Vet Med, 2008, 83: 360-380.
Bar, D., Y. T. Gröhn, R. N. Gonzalez, J. A. Hertl, H. F. Schulte, G. J. Bennett, L. W. Tauer, Y. H. Schukken. Effect of repeated episodes of generic clinical mastitis on culling in dairy cows J. Dairy Sci., 2008, 91: 2196-2204.
Bar, D., L. W. Tauer, G. Bennett, R. N. González, J. A. Hertl, Y. H. Schukken, H. F. Schulte, F. L. Welcome, and Y. T. Gröhn. The cost of generic clinical mastitis in dairy cows as estimated using dynamic programming. J. Dairy Sci., 2008, 91: 2205-2214.
Scaria, J., U. M. Raghavan, Palaniappan, D. Chiu, J. A. Phan, L. Ponnala, P. McDonough, Y. T. Gröhn, S. Porwollik, M. McClelland, C.-S. Chiou, C. Chu, and Y. F. Chang. Microarray for molecular typing of Salmonella enterica serovars. Molecular & Cellular Probes. 2008, 22: 238-243.
Lu, Z., R. M. Mitchell, R. L. Smith, J. S. Van Kessel, P. P. Chapagain, Y. H. Schukken, and Y. T. Gröhn. The Importance of Culling in Johne’s Disease. J. of Theoretical Biology. 2008, 245: 135-146.
Lanzas, C., S. Brien, R. Ivanek, Y. Lo, P. Chapagain, K. A. Ray, P. Ayscue, L. D. Warnick, and Y. T. Gröhn. The effect of heterogeneous infectious period and contagiousness on the dynamics of Salmonella transmission. Epidemiology and Infection. 2008, 136, 1496-1510.
Lanzas, C., L. D. Warnick, R. Ivanek, P. Ayscue, D. Nydam, P. McDonough, and Y. T. Gröhn. The risk and control of Salmonella outbreaks in calf-rearing operations. Veterinary Research. 2008: 39:61.
Wilson, D. J., Y. T. Gröhn, G. J. Bennet, R. N. Gozalez, Y. H. Schukken, and J. Spatz. Milk Production Change Following Clinical Mastitis and Reproductive Performance Compared Among J5 Vaccinated and Control Dairy Cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 2008, 91: 3969-3879.
Fall, N., Y. T. Gröhn, K. Forslund, B. Essen-Gustafsson, R. Niskanen, and U. Emanuelson. An observational study on early-lactation metabolic profiles in Swedish organically and conventionally managed dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 2008, 91: 3983-3992.
Ivanek, R., Y. T. Gröhn, M. T. Wells, S. Raengpradub, M. Kazmierczak, and M. Wiedmann. Extreme value theory in analysis of differential expression in microarrays where either only up- or down-regulated genes are relevant or expected. Genetical Research. 2008, 90: 347-361.
Fraser, D. R., D. D. McGregor, and Y. T. Gröhn. Career paths of alumni of the Cornell Leadership Program for veterinary students. The Veterinary Record. 2008; 163: 750 - 756.
Bar, D., L. W. Tauer, G. Bennett, R. N. González, J. A. Hertl, Y. H. Schukken, H. F. Schulte, F. L. Welcome, and Y. T. Gröhn. Use of a dynamic programming model to estimate the value of clinical mastitis treatment and prevention options utilized by dairy producers. Agric. Systems. 2009, 99:6-12.
Wilson, D. J., B. A. Mallard, J. L. Burton, Y. H. Schukken, and Y. T. Gröhn. Association of Escherichia coli J5 -Specific Serum Antibody Responses with Clinical Mastitis Outcome for J5 Vaccinate and Control Dairy Cattle. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. 2009, 16: 209-217.
Ayscue, P., C. Lanzas, R. Ivanek, and Y. T. Gröhn. Modeling Escherichia coli O157:H7 Population Dynamics in Feedlots. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 2009. 6: 461-470.
Smith, R. L., Y. T. Gröhn, A. Pradhan, R. H. Whitlock, J. S. Van Kessel, and Y. H. Schukken. A longitudinal study for the impact of Johne’s Disease on milk production in individual cows. J. of Dairy Sci. 2009, 92: 2653-2661.
Davis, M. A., K. N. K. Baker, D. R. Call, L. D. Warnick, Y. Soyer, M. Wiedmann, Y. T. Gröhn, P. L. McDonough, D. D. Hancock, and T. E. Besser. Multiple locus variable number of tandem repeats typing method for Salmonella enterica serovar Neport. J of Clin Microbiol., 2009, 47:1934-1938.
Janvilisri, T., J. Scaria, A. D. Thompson, A. Nicholson, B. Limbarg, L. G. Arroyo, G. J. Gleen Songer, Y. T. Gröhn, Y.-F. Chang. Microarray Identification of Clostridium difficile core components and divergent regions associated with hosts origin. J of Bacteriology, 2009, 191: 3881-3891.
Pradhan, A., R. Ivanek, Y. T. Gröhn, K. Abou-Zeid, and M. Wiedmann. Quantitative risk assessment for Listeria monocytogenes in selected categories of deli meats: impact of lactate-diacetate on listeriosis cases and deaths. J. of Food Protection. 2009, 75: 978-989.
Schukken, Y. H, J. A. Hertl, D. Bar, G. J. Bennett, R. N. Gonzalez, B. Rauch, C. Santisteban, H. F. Schulte, L. W. Tauer, F. L. Welcome, and Y. T. Gröhn. Effects of repeated Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Clinical Mastitis Episodes on Milk Yield loss in Holstein Dairy Cows. J. of Dairy Sci. 2009, 92: 3091-3105.
Alexander, K. A., L. D. Warnick, C. J. Cripps, P. L. McDonough, Y. T. Gröhn, M. Wiedmann, K. E. Reed, K. L. James, Y. Soyer, and R. Ivanek. Fecal shedding, antimicrobial resistance, and serological response to Salmonella Typhimurium in calves on two dairy herds in the Northeast U.S. JAVMA. In Press.
Cummings, K. J., L. D. Warnick, Y. T. Gröhn, P. L. McDonough, K. A. Alexander, C. J. Cripps, and K. E. Reed. The Duration of fecal Salmonella shedding following clinical disease among dairy cattle in the northeastern USA. Prev Vet Med, In press.
Lu, Z., Y. T. Gröhn, R. L. Smith, D. R. Wolfgang, J. S. Van Kessel, and Y. H. Schukken. Assessing the potential impact of Salmonella vaccine in an endemically infected dairy herd. J. of Theoretical Biology. In press.
- Yrjo Tapio Grohn