- View All
- The science and technology of nanostructures
- Particularly carbon-based systems such as nanotubes and graphene
- Novel fabrication techniques at the nanometer scale
- Scanned probe microscopy of nanostructures
- Assembly and measurement of chemical and biological nanostructures
Our research focuses on the fabrication and study of nanostructures. We use these structures to span the gap between the macroscopic and molecular worlds, exploring electronics, optics, mechanics, chemistry and biology at the nanoscale. Current areas of research include the use of carbon nanotubes for optoelectronics, mechanics, and single-molecule biological sensing, and the use of graphene as an atomic membrane that is only one atom thick.
principal investigator on
- COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH: DMREF GRAPHENE BASED ORIGAMI AND KIRIGAMI METAMATERIALS awarded by DIRECTORATE FOR MATHEMATICAL & PHYSICAL SCIENCES NSF 2014 - 2018
- KAVLI BRAIN COFFEE HOUR AT CORNELL-ITHACA awarded by THE KAVLI FOUNDATION 2015 - 2017
- COLLABORATIVE PROPOSAL: BRAIN EAGER: STRETCHABLE GRAPHENE TRANSISTORS FOR HIGH SIGNAL, HIGH CHANNEL COUNT NEURAL RECORDING awarded by NATL SCIENCE FOUNDATION 2014 - 2016
- CAREER: DNA TRANSPORT THROUGH CARBON NANOTUBES awarded by NATL SCIENCE FOUNDATION 2014 - 2015
- INSTITUTE FOR NANOELECTRONICS DISCOVERY AND EXPLORATION (INDEX) 2.0 2013 - 2014
co-principal investigator on
- CORNELL CENTER FOR MATERIALS RESEARCH - MRSEC 2011 - 2017
- GRAPHENE PLASMON OSCILLATORS FOR THZ AND MID-IR SOURCES awarded by OFFICE OF NAVAL RESEARCH DOD 2013 - 2016
- IGERT: A GRADUATE TRAINEESHIP IN MATERIALS FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE awarded by NATL SCIENCE FOUNDATION 2009 - 2015
- LOW DIMENSIONAL CARBON MATERIALS FOR NANOOPTICS AND NANOPLASMONICS awarded by AIR FORCE OFFICE OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH 2010 - 2015
- Graphene as Protein Crystal Mounting Material to Reduce Background Scatter. Journal of Applied Crystallography. 46:1501-1507. 2013
- Hyperspectral Imaging of Structure and Composition in Atomically Thin Heterostructures. Nano Letters. 13:3942-3946. 2013
- Imaging atomic rearrangements in two-dimensional silica glass: watching silica's dance.. Science. 342:224-227. 2013
- Observation and Spectroscopy of a Two-electron Wigner Molecule in an Ultraclean Carbon Nanotube. Nature Physics. 9:576-581. 2013
- Photocurrent Measurements of Supercollision Cooling in Graphene. Nature Physics. 9:103-108. 2013
- Simultaneous Electrical and Optical Readout of Graphene-coated High Q Silicon Nitride Resonators. Applied Physics Letters. 103. 2013
- Strain Solitons and Topological Defects in Bilayer Graphene. PNAS. 110:11256-11260. 2013
- Photothermal Self-Oscillation and Laser Cooling of Graphene Optomechanical Systems. Nano Letters. 12:4681-4686. 2012
- Ultrafast Photocurrent Measurement of the Escape Time of Electrons and Holes from Carbon Nanotube p-i-n Photodiodes. Physical Review Letters. 108. 2012
- Plasmon Resonance in Individual Nanogap Electrodes Studied Using Graphene Nanoconstrictions as Photodetectors. Nano Letters. 11:1814-1818. 2011
- Terahertz imaging and spectroscopy of large-area single-layer graphene. OPTICS EXPRESS. 19:141-146. 2011
- Grains and Grain Boundaries in Single-Layer Graphene Atomic Patchwork Quilts. Nature. 469:389-392. 2011
- High, Size-Dependent Quality Factor in an Array of Graphene Mechanical Resonators. Nano Letters. 11:1232-1236. 2011
- Softened Elastic Response and Unzipping in Chemical Vapor Deposition Graphene Membranes. Nano Letters. 11:2259-2263. 2011
- Softened Elastic Response and Unzipping in Chemical Vapor Deposition Graphene Membranes.. Nano Letters. 11. 2011
- Photo-Thermoelectric Effect at a Graphene Interface Junction. Nano Letters. 10:562-566. 2010
- Large-scale arrays of single-layer graphene resonators. Nano Letters. 10:4869-4873. 2010
- Bending and Twisting of Suspended Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes in Solution. Nano Letters. 9:1609-1614. 2009
- Free-Standing Epitaxial Graphene. Nano Letters. 9:3100-3105. 2009
- Polarization switching using single-walled carbon nanotubes grown on epitaxial ferroelectric thin films. Applied Physics Letters. 93. 2008
- Single-Electron Force Readout of Nanoparticle Electrometers Attached to Carbon Nanotubes. Nano Letters. 8:2399-2404. 2008
- Imaging Mechanical Vibrations in Suspended Graphene Sheets. Nano Letters. 8:1399-1403. 2008
- Synthesizing the Future. ACS Chemical Biology. 3:10-12. 2008
- Impermeable atomic membranes from graphene sheets. Nano Lett. 8:2458-62. 2008
- Terahertz time-domain measurement of ballistic electron resonance in a single-walled carbon nanotube. Nature Nanotechnology. 3:201-205. 2008
- Mechanical properties of suspended graphene sheets. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B. 25. 2007
- Phonons and conduction in molecular quantum dots: Density functional calculations of Franck-Condon emission rates for bifullerenes in external fields. PHYSICAL REVIEW B. 76. 2007
- Electromechanical resonators from graphene sheets. Science. 315:490-3. 2007
- Supported lipid bilayer/carbon nanotube hybrids. Nature Nanotechnology. 2:185-90. 2007
- Transport in carbon nanotube p-i-n diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 89. 2006
- Measurement of the quantum capacitance of interacting electrons in carbon nanotubes. Nature Physics. 28:687-691. 2006
- Probing Electrostatic Potentials in Solution with Carbon Nanotube Transistors. Nano Letters. 6:1329-1333. 2006
- Measurement of the Adhesion Force between Carbon Nanotubes and a Silicon Dioxide Substrate. Nano Letters. 6:953-957. 2006
- Frequency shift imaging of quantum dots with single-electron resolution. Applied Physics Letters. 87. 2005
- Band Structure, Phonon Scattering, and the Performance Limit of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Transistors. Physical Review Letters. 95. 2005
- Coulomb Oscillations and Hall Effect in Quasi-2D Graphite Quantum Dots. Nano Letters. 5:287-290. 2005
- Vibration-Assisted Electron Tunneling in C140 Transistors. Nano Letters. 5:203-207. 2005
- Mixing at 50 GHz using a Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Transistor. Applied Physics Letters. 87. 2005
- Electron−Phonon Scattering in Metallic Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. Nano Letters. 4:517-520. 2004
- Noncontact-AFM imaging of molecular surfaces using single-wall carbon nanotube technology. Nanotechnology. 15. 2004
- Electrical Nanoprobing of Semiconducting Carbon Nanotubes Using an Atomic Force Microscope. Physical Review Letters. 92. 2004
- Controlled assembly of dendrimer-like DNA. Nature Materials. 3:38-42. 2004
- Wiring up single molecules. Thin Solid Films. 438-439:457-461. 2003
- Tuning Carbon Nanotube Band Gaps with Strain. Physical Review Letters. 90. 2003
- High Performance Electrolyte Gated Carbon Nanotube Transistors. Nano Letters. 21:869-872. 2002
- Electrical cutting and nicking of carbon nanotubes using an atomic force microscope. Applied Physics Letters. 80. 2002
- High-[kappa] dielectrics for advanced carbon-nanotube transistors and logic gates. Nature Materials. 1:241-246. 2002
- Thermal Transport Measurements of Individual Multiwalled Nanotubes. Physical Review Letters. 87. 2001
- Suppression of Tunneling into Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes. Physical Review Letters. 87. 2001
- Formation of a p-type quantum dot at the end of an n-type carbon nanotube. Applied Physics Letters. 79. 2001
- Imaging interedge-state scattering centers in the quantum Hall regime. Physical Review B: Rapid Communications. 64. 2001
- Scanning thermal microscopy of carbon nanotubes using batch-fabricated probes. Applied Physics Letters. 77. 2000
- Scanned Probe Microscopy of Electronic Transport in Carbon Nanotubes. Physical Review Letters. 84. 2000
- Chemical doping of individual semiconducting carbon-nanotube ropes. Physical Review B: Rapid Communications. 61. 2000
- Fluctuation broadening in carbon nanotube resonators. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). 109:19093-19096. 2012
- Grains and grain boundaries in single-layer graphene atomic patchwork quilts. Nature. 469:389-392. 2011
- Extremely Efficient Multiple Electron-Hole Pair Generation in Carbon Nanotube Photodiodes. Science. 325:1367-1371. 2009
- Coupling of spin and orbital motion of electrons in carbon nanotubes. Nature. 452:448-452. 2008
- The Kondo Effect in the Presence of Ferromagnetism. Science. 306:86-89. 2004
- A tunable carbon nanotube electromechanical oscillator. Nature. 431:284-287. 2004
- Determination of electron orbital magnetic moments in carbon nanotubes. Nature. 428:536-539. 2004
- Coulomb blockade and the Kondo effect in single-atom transistors. Nature. 417:722-725. 2002
- Scanned Probe Imaging of Single-Electron Charge States in Nanotube Quantum Dots. Science. 296:1098-1101. 2002
- Nanomechanical oscillations in a single-C60 transistor. Nature. 407:57-60. 2000
- Crossed Nanotube Junctions. Science. 288:494-497. 2000
- Graphene Micro- and Nano-Plasmonics. CLEO. 2013
selected publications listing
"Impermeable Atomic Membranes from Graphene Sheets," J. Scott Bunch, Scott S. Verbridge, Jonathan S. Alden, Arend M. van der Zande, Jeevak M. Parpia, Harold G. Craighead, and Paul L. McEuen, Nano Lett., ASAP 10.1021/nl801457 (2008),
Monolayer graphene membrane deflating movie
"Single-Electron Force Readout of Nanoparticle Electrometers Attached to Carbon Nanotubes," Jun Zhu, Markus Brink, and Paul L. McEuen,ASAP Nano Lett., ASAP, 10.1021/nl801295y (2008),
In the news: Nanowerk News,
"Imaging Mechanical Vibrations in Suspended Graphene Sheets," Daniel Garcia-Sanchez, Arend M. van der Zande, A. San Paulo, B. Lassagne, Paul L. McEuen,and Adrian Bachtold Nano Lett., 8(5), 1399-1403, 10.1021/nl080201h (2008),
"Coupling of Spin and Orbital Motion of Electrons in Carbon Nanotubes," F. Kuemmeth, S. Ilani, D. C. Ralph and P. L. McEuen, arXiv:0802.1351, Nature 452 448 (March 27, 2008),
"Terahertz time-domain measurement of ballistic electron resonance in a single-walled carbon nanotube," Zhaohui Zhong, Nathan M. Gabor, Jay E. Sharping, Alexander L. Gaeta, and P. L. McEuen, Nature Nanotechnology 3 201-205 (2008)
"Synthesizing the Future," Paul L. McEuen, and Cees Dekker ACS Chem Biol., 3 (1), 10–12, 2008
"Mechanical Properties of Suspended Graphene Sheets," Ian W. Frank, David M. Tanenbaum, Arend M. van der Zande, and Paul L. McEuen, Journal of Vacuum Sciences and Technology B, Vol 256, pp. 2558–2561, November 2007
"Supported lipid bilayer/carbon nanotube hybrids," Xinjian Zhou, Jose M. Moran-Mirabal, Harold G. Craighead, and Paul L. McEuen, Nature Nanotechnology, 2, 185 (2007).
"Electromechanical resonators from graphene sheets," J. Scott Bunch, Arend M. van der Zande, Scott S. Verbridge, Ian W. Frank, David M. Tanenbaum, Jeevak M. Parpia, Harold G. Craighead, and Paul L. McEuen, Science 315, 490 (2007).
"Transport in carbon nanotube p-i-n diodes," Ken Bosnick, Nathan Gabor, and Paul L. McEuen, Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 163121 (2006).
"Measurement of the quantum capacitance of interacting electrons in carbon nanotubes," Shahal Ilani, Luke A. K. Donev, Mark Kindermann, and Paul L. McEuen, Nature Physics 2, 687 (2006).
"Probing electrostatic potentials in solution with carbon nanotube transistors," Lisa Larrimore, Suddhasattwa Nad, Xinjian Zhou, Hector Abruña, and Paul L. McEuen, Nano Lett. 6, 1329 (2006).
"Measurement of the adhesion force between carbon nanotubes and a silicon dioxide substrate," Jed D. Whittaker, Ethan D. Minot, David M. Tanenbaum, Paul L. McEuen, and Robert C. Davis, Nano Lett. 6, 953 (2006).
"Frequency shift imaging of quantum dots with single-electron resolution," J. Zhu, M. Brink, and P. L. McEuen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 242102 (2005).
"Mixing at 50 GHz using a single-walled carbon nanotube transistor," S. Rosenblatt, H. Lin, V. Sazonova, S. Tiwari, and P. L. McEuen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 153111 (2005).
"Band structure, phonon scattering, and the performance limit of single-walled carbon nanotube transistors," Xinjian Zhou, Ji-Yong Park, Shaoming Huang, Jie Liu, and Paul. L. McEuen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 146805 (2005).
"Vibration-assisted electron tunneling in C-140 transistors," A. N. Pasupathy, J. Park, C. Chang, A. V. Soldatov, S. Lebedkin, R. C. Bialczak, J. E. Grose, L. A. K. Donev, J. P. Sethna, D. C. Ralph, and P. L. McEuen, Nano Lett. 5, 203 (2005).
"Coulomb oscillations and Hall effect in quasi-2D graphite quantum dots," J. Scott Bunch, Yuval Yaish, Markus Brink, Kirill Bolotin, and Paul L. McEuen, Nano Lett 5, 287 (2005).
"A tunable carbon nanotube electromechanical oscillator," Vera Sazonova, Yuval Yaish, Hande Ustunel, David Roundy, Tomas A. Arias, and Paul L. McEuen, Nature 431, 284 (2004).
"The Kondo effect in the presence of ferromagnetism," A. N. Pasupathy, R. C. Bialczak, J. Martinek, J. E. Grose, L. A. K. Donev, P. L. McEuen, and D. C. Ralph, Science 306, 86 (2004).
"Noncontact-AFM imaging of molecular surfaces using single-wall carbon nanotube technology," J. S. Bunch, T. N. Rhodin, and P. L. McEuen, Nanotechnology 15, S76 (2004).
"Determination of electron orbital magnetic moments in carbon nanotubes," E. D. Minot, Yuval Yaish, Vera Sazonova, and Paul L. McEuen, Nature 428, 536 (2004).
"Electron-phonon scattering in metallic single-walled carbon nanotubes," Ji-Yong Park, Sami Rosenblatt, Yuval Yaish, Vera Sazonova, Hande Ustunel, Stephan Braig, T. A. Arias, Piet Brouwer, and Paul L. McEuen, Nano Lett. 4, 517 (2004).
"Controlled assembly of dendrimer-like DNA," Yougen Li, Yolanda D. Tseng, Sang Y. Kwon, Leo D'Espaux, J. Scott Bunch, Paul L. McEuen, and Dan Luo, Nature Materials 3, 38 (2004).
"Electrical nanoprobing of semiconducting carbon nanotubes using an atomic force microscope," Yuval Yaish, Ji-Yong Park, S. Rosenblatt, Vera Sazonova, Markus Brink, Paul L. McEuen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 046401 (2004).
"Wiring up single molecules," Jiwoong Park, Abhay N. Pasupathy, Jonas I. Goldsmith, Alexander V. Soldatov, Connie Chang, Yuval Yaish, James P. Sethna, Héctor D. Abruña, Daniel C. Ralph and Paul L. McEuen, Thin Solid Films, 438, 457 (2003).
"Tuning carbon nanotube bandgaps with strain," E. D. Minot, Yuval Yaish, Vera Sazonova, Ji-Yong Park, Markus Brink, and Paul L. McEuen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 156401 (2003).
- Paul L. McEuen