The job of ARS is finding solutions to agricultural problems that affect Americans every day, from field to table--
- Protecting crops and livestock from pests and disease,
- Improving the quality and safety of agricultural products,
- Determining the best nutrition for people from infancy to old age,
- Sustaining our soil and other natural resources,
- Ensuring profitability for farmers and processors,
- Keeping costs down for consumers, and
- Providing research support to other federal agencies.