Joanie Mackowski is the author of View From a Temporary Window (University of Pittsburgh Press 2010) and The Zoo (University of Pittsburgh Press 2002), which was awarded the Associated Writing Programs' Award Series in Poetry and the Kate Tufts Discovery Award. Other awards include a Wallace Stegner Fellowship, a Rona Jaffe Foundation Grant, and the Emily Dickinson Prize from the Poetry Society of America. Her poems appear in Best American Poetry 2007 and Best American Poetry 2009, The Swallow Anthology of New American Poets, and in such journals as The Yale Review, Raritan, New England Review, Poetry, and others. Her third collection of poems, currently underway, explores lyric poetry from an ecocritical vantage point.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Poetry and somatic and kinesthetic experience
- Creative practice as research
- Poetry and ethics
- Teaching creative writing
- American writers
- University of Missouri-Columbia, Ph.D.
- University of Washington, M.F.A.
- Wesleyan University, B.A.
- View All